News[ Back ]
Runnymede Campus, Englefield Green Granted Planning Permission
Runnymede Borough Council has resolved to grant planning permission for the full redevelopment of Runnymede Campus in Surrey.
The former Brunel University campus, situated on the edge of the village of Englefield Green started life as a manor house in the 1800s, before serving as the Royal Indian Engineering College and latterly as accommodation and teaching facilities for Brunel University. The 27 hectare campus lies in the Green Belt (although it is designated as a major development site) but since 2007 has lain largely unused.
John Thompson & Partners' masterplan for its redevelopment includes 528 rooms of student accommodation, 104 new homes (including 28 affordable homes) and 59 extra-care apartments. Existing buildings to be restored include the listed Mews block, the President's, Pillar and College Halls, the Lodge House and the former Chapel. Large areas of open landscape will become accessible to the public for the first time, connecting routes to the banks of the River Thames and the historic site at which the Magna Carta was sealed in 1215. JTP worked as overall masterplanners for their clients Art Estates, co-ordinating detailed input from three other architectural practices.
The Borough Council's planning committee voted unanimously in favour of the proposed redevelopment. It is hoped that work will start on site in 2012.